A brief history of astrid
Tickets for astrid's gig at The View on 13th June are available here, but in the meantime, astrid's journey from the Western Isles to Oban is a story worth telling.
- The band from the Isle Of Lewis was formed by songwriters and childhood friends; Willie Campbell and Charlie Clark who bonded over a shared fanaticism of comic books, movies and music.
- They moved to Glasgow and astrid’s complete catalogue of seven songs were played at King Tuts Wah Wah Hut, Nice & Sleazy’s and the famous Halt Bar on Woodlands Road.
- It was here Stevie Jackson from Belle & Sebastian heard astrid and asked the boys along for the first UK Belle & Sebastian tour. astrid accepted.
- Their debut album, 'Strange Weather Lately', was produced by Scottish Indie legend Edwyn Collins, and would go on to sell 10,000 copies and solidify astrid as 1999’s darlings of radio as they garnered support from the likes of John Peel, Steve Lamacq and Mark and Lard.
- In 2001, Snow Patrol frontman Gary Lightbody asked astrid to join and ultimately become the core band for his Scottish indie supergroup, The Reindeer Section.
- astrid released nine singles, three albums and three EPs before disbanding in 2004.
- In July 2015, Willie and Charlie fell into a chat about writing a few songs together.
- And last year, they released their first album in years. It was called 'Fall Stand Dance' and was produced by Edwyn Collins who they also supported on his UK tour.
- The band continue to get played on Radio Scotland with Roddy Hart being a big supporter and they still get played on BBC 6 Music where Steve Lamacq is a big supporter.
BBC Quay Sessions
astrid - Poison Reaction. Live in session from the BBC in Glasgow.
'Storm Sessions' Acoustic Tour
Since reforming astrid have played and toured with The Proclaimers, Edwyn Collins and recently played a sold out show at the Glasgow Barrowlands with fellow islanders, Peat & Diesel as well as performances at Loopallu, Belladrum, Celtic Connections and Heb Celt to name a few.
And only last month, astrid posted an acoustic version of one of their most popular singles, ‘Distance’ and it has had an amazing 45,000 views.
So...stay tuned for the first single from forthcoming EP ‘The Storm Sessions’ and make sure to grab tickets for astrid's gig in Oban.